Sunday, August 17, 2008

Do you blog? Do you use Firefox? Well, come right on in!

By happenstance, I just found a cool fracking Firefox extension called ScribeFire.

You just install it, give it the link and login to your blog(s), and you're ready to go.

It has built-in options to post pictures from your computer, from the web, or from a Flickr search, or post videos from a YouTube search. It's got a full suite of word processing tools, with keyboard shortcuts (like ctrl-i (or cmd-i on a Mac) for making italic text, ctrl/cmd-b for bold, etc.), lists, alignment options, font control, special characters, etc.

You can set it up to manage multiple blogs if you have them, and it shows all your entries for them. You can manage tags/keywords, even modify the time/date that you posted (I like that for when I convert old LiveJournal or MySpace entries, I can modify them to when I originally posted them).

A while back, I was looking for an editor, to avoid the ... while useful, not exactly convenient ... blogger web interface. I played around with Ecto and MarsEdit, but both cost money (which I'm not against, per-se, but for something like this, anything over $10 is too much, in my opinion), and Ecto, the cheaper one ($18), has some quirky formatting that it throws into posts. MarsEdit was looking to be perfect, save for the $30 price tag.

Then I come across ScribeFire. It has almost everything MarsEdit offers (MarsEdit's Flickr images actually pull up your own photos, rather than a general search of all Flickr users. But you can use the links Flickr provides, and ScribeFire's generic image insert for an image on the web) at a very reasonable price. $0. Whodathunk?!

Maybe this will get me posting a little bit more often.

3 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

Well, that does sound like a good find. I may have to try it.

I hope you do post more!

Gail Dixon said...

After a quick glance, I realized I have pretty much the same thing built into the Flock browser. I haven't tried it yet, but I was going to on my next post.

Jay said...

Yeah, Flock was basically built on the base code of Firefox with blogging and social networking functions in mind.

I've thought about checking it out on occasion, but I can't ever seem to bring myself to do it :) It's the picture browser on it that I really dig, though I think I might check out the PicLens extension ( http://www.cooliris.com/ )