Thursday, August 6, 2009

Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal, PayPal, and probably more...

All targets of a massive DDoS attack this morning, and still ongoing, it seems.

I can't be the only one thinking this has something to do with today being the 64th anniversary of Hiroshima.  A "nuking" of the web, so to speak.  Target some of the most popular, high traffic sites, and take them down.

In all the news I can find on it, people seem to be fixated on a possible link to the hacker convention, Defcon, which ended Sunday. But that doesn't make any sense to me. Why wait until Thursday, if that were the case? Why wait at all?

No, it seems a little too suspicious that it would happen on the anniversary of Hiroshima. And that no one seems to be getting that, definitely has caused me a few facepalm moments this morning, while reading the articles and comments.

2 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

Hmmm...interesting observation. I didn't even know it was the anniversary of Hiroshima. I just knew that both FB & Twitter were having issues and I thought it must be some renegade hackers having a field day.

Jay said...

I'm curious now, if more attacks are going to happen on the 9th, the anniversary of Nagasaki.

Twitter.com is still gimped for me, though Tweetie, and other 3rd party apps seem to be able to post/grab tweets just fine. It's kind of frustrating too, because I'm trying to set up FriendFeed to post to Twitter automatically, but since their site is down, it's been a no-go the past two days.